Minutes December 10, 2018
ADRIAN MAYOR AND COUNCIL MEETING
MONDAY, DECEMBER 10, 2018 AT 6:00PM
ADRIAN ANNEX, NORA BLVD., ADRIAN, GA. 31002
- Call Meeting to Order- Mayor Kim Adams called meeting to order at 6:25pm.
- Invocation and Pledge of Allegiance: All in attendance stood for the pledge. Council Members in attendance were CM Yawn, CM Sumner, CM Hutchinson, and CM ZSumner.
- Adoption of Agenda: CM ZSumner made a motion to adopt the agenda, seconded by CM Yawn, carried by CM Hutchinson and CM Sumner. Motion passed. Agenda adopted.
- Discuss 911 dispatch charges increasing- Clerk Jean discussed that the fees were increasing for the city.
- Comcast increasing- Clerk Jean discussed increasing fees but was informed that Comcast sends individual correspondence for those with Comcast services.
- Heart of Altamaha License Fee Billing- Clerk Jean discussed that there is a charge of $325 yearly.
- Public Speakers: None at the time of sign up
- Adoption of Minutes: November 12th Council Meeting, November 14th Millage Rate Hearing, and November 14th Special Meeting for millage rate and employees- CM Hutchinson made a motion to accept the minutes for the November 12th meeting, November 14th 6:00 meeting, and the November 14th 7:00 meeting. CM Sumner seconded the motion, carried by CM Yawn and CM ZSumner. Motion Passed. Minutes accepted.
- Reconciliations: All bank statements for November 2018- CM Yawn made a motion to accept the bank statements and reconciliations for the month of November, seconded by CM ZSumner, carried by CM Sumner and CM Hutchinson. Motion passed. Bank Statements and Reconciliations accepted.
- Unfinished Business:
- LMIG Application- Discussed the next LMIG project. CM Yawn suggested paving College St. and asked if anyone else had any other ideas. Mayor asked what else the money could be used for discussing some other issues in town. CM Yawn stated that they would need bids for everything by December 31st for the application due date.
- New Business:
- List of Bills paid in November- CM ZSumner made a motion to accept the list of bills paid in November, seconded by CM Yawn, carried by CM Hutchinson and CM Sumner. Motion passed. List of Bills Accepted.
- Computer Programs- Clerk Jean explained the programs she looked at and their cost. Tabled until next meeting.
- Bids for road- Mayor opened two bids for the Norris St project and read them to the council. CM Hutchinson made a motion to accept the bid from Buckland Paving, seconded by CM Yawn, carried by CM Sumner and CM ZSumner. Motion Passed. Bid accepted. Council asked Clerk Jean to call Buckland Paving to tell them to accept the bid and ask how long the project will take.
- Dumpster charges- Clerk Jean explained that the city has been losing money on dumpsters by undercharging customers. CM Yawn made a motion to raise the price to 20% more than what Evans charges the city, seconded by CM Hutchinson, carried by CM Sumner and CM ZSumner. Motion passed. Dumpster prices raised. Mayor stated to send out letters to customers saying stating that the prices will be raised.
- Department Head Reports
- Fire Department- Chief Yawn did not have a report ready; he did not have time because he had surgery the previous week.
- Street/Water Department- CM Yawn states he needs to have some discussion about the departments in executive session.
- Police Department- Chief Pennington thanked the council for hiring him and giving him the opportunity to work for the city and to keep Adrian safe. He continued and explained the tickets he has written and situations he has dealt with since starting. Then stated some equipment he will need and some issues he is having with current equipment. Mayor asked about some equipment the city has and the Chief explained what is going on with it. The council discussed the current equipment and the remaining budget for the police department. CM Yawn made a motion to take $6,200 out of the police salaries and put it into the police supplies to allow Chief Pennington to buy the equipment he needs, seconded by CM ZSumner, carried by CM Hutchinson and CM Sumner. Motion Carried. Mayor tells the Chief to order everything tomorrow.
- Safety Department- CM Yawn stated that the Chief has his hands full and would like Dwayne Yawn to be over safety. CM Hutchinson made a motion to accept Dwayne yawn and Deputy Clerk Owen to over the safety department, seconded by CM Yawn, carried by CM Sumner and CM ZSumner.
- Recreation Department- Mayor Adams stated that there’s not much going on besides the parade being canceled. CM Hutchinson stated that for next year when having the parade when applying for the permit have a rain date approved as well.
- Council Members
- Wynola Smith- Not present.
- Zelda Sumner-
- Suzanne Hutchinson-
- Jesse Yawn-
- Larry Sumner-
- Mayor- Kim Adams-
- Recess Regular Meeting: CM Yawn made a motion to exit regular session, seconded by CM ZSumner, carried by CM Hutchinson and CM Sumner. Motion Passed. Exited Regular Session at 7:17pm.
- Executive Session: Employees- CM Yawn made a motion to go into executive session, seconded by CM ZSumner, carried by CM Sumner and CM Hutchinson. Motion passed. Went into executive session at 7:18pm.
CM Yawn made a motion to go out of executive session, seconded by CM ZSumner, carried by CM Sumner and CM Yawn. Motion Passed. Council went out of executive session at 7:34pm.
- Call Regular Meeting to order: CM Yawn made a motion to return to regular session, seconded by CM Sumner, carried by CM ZSumner and CM Hutchinson. Motion Passed. Council went back into regular session at 7:34pm.
CM Yawn made a motion to terminate James Salter as the city’s water technician, seconded by CM Hutchinson, carried by CM Sumner and CM ZSumner. Motion carried. James Salter terminated.
CM Yawn made a motion to hire previous water supervisor Mark Hall and he will receive his previous pay of $150 a month, seconded by CM ZSumner, carried by CM Sumner and CM Hutchinson. Motion passed. Mark Hall hired.
CM Yawn made a motion to have an interview to have an interview with Christopher Way. Motion seconded by CM ZSumner, carried by CM Sumner, and CM Hutchison. Motion passed.
- Adjournment: CM Yawn made a motion to adjourn the meeting, seconded by CM ZSumner, carried by CM Sumner and CM Hutchinson. Motion passed. Meeting adjourned at 7:45pm.