Minutes October 8, 2018
ADRIAN MAYOR AND COUNCIL MEETING
MONDAY, OCTOBER 8, 2018 @ 6:00PM
ADRIAN ANNEX, NORA BLVD., ADRIAN, GA. 31002
- Call Meeting to Order- Mayor, Kim Adams: Meeting was called to order at 6:05 pm.
- Invocation and Pledge of Allegiance: All in attendance stood for the Pledge of Allegiance.
- Adoption of Agenda: CM Smith made a motion to adopt the agenda, seconded by CM Yawn, carried by CM ZSumner, CM Hutchinson, and CM Sumner. Motion passed. Agenda adopted.
- Concession stand inventory- Will be giving it away for Halloween at the Trunk or Treat.
- Start on 2019 budget- Clerk Jean stated that a time needs to be set to amend the 2018 budget before she can begin on the 2019 budget.
- Clerk Jean received the $500.00 GSCCCA Scholarship for the Fall Conference 2019
- Public Speakers: None at the time of sign up
- Adoption of Minutes: CM Hutchinson made a motion to accept the minutes for the September 17th council meeting, seconded by CM ZSumner, carried by CM Yawn, CM Sumner, and CM Smith. Motion passed. Minutes adopted. CM Hutchinson made a motion to accept the minutes for the September 21st meeting, seconded by CM ZSumner, carried by CM Smith, CM Sumner, and CM Yawn. Motion passed. Minutes adopted.
- Reconciliations: All bank statements for September 2018- CM ZSumner made a motion to accept reconciliations, seconded by CM Smith, carried by CM Yawn, CM ZSumner, and CM Sumner. Motion passed. September bank reconciliations accepted.
- Unfinished Business:
- Water Ordinance- Mayor read the revised water ordinance. This will be the 2nd
- New Business:
- List of Bills paid in September- CM Smith made a motion to accept the list, seconded by CM Sumner, carried by CM Yawn, CM ZSumner, and CM Hutchinson. Motion passed. List accepted.
- Open up bids for the Old Health Department building- One bid was received. Mayor opened and read the bid from John and Darlene Page for $8,000. CM Yawn made a motion to accept the bid from the Page’s, seconded by CM Hutchinson, and carried by CM Sumner, CM Smith, and CM ZSumner. Motion passed. Bid accepted.
- Vote to review/revise Employee Handbook- Will be voted on after the changes are made.
- Review and sign Credit Card Policy- Mayor and council reviewed and signed the new credit card policy.
- Enforcing dog ordinance- Mayor addressed the dog problem the city has been having. Clerk Jean stated she has been in contact with SoCo Rescue and is trying to get a contract in place.
- Dress code for office- Discussed in executive.
- Discuss school contract- Discussed in executive.
- Department Head Reports
- Fire Department- Chief Yawn- There has been 5 calls in the month of August and 6 in the month of September. Currently preparing for the hurricane and will be ready and available during it.
- Street/Water Department- CM Yawn- Water: There was a malfunction with the water tank controller. The problem is now fixed. Street: They have been working on street curbs, sidewalks, and the tall grass in the ditches. The street sweeper needs 2 new batteries and he suggests that the city should buy them.
- Police Department- Chief Chavis- There were 4 citations and 10 reports since the last council meeting. Has been focused on the break in that happened at Deerwood and two arrests have been made.
- Safety Department- Chief Chavis- Nothing to report.
- Recreation Department- Mayor Adams has CM Hutchinson speak- The city will be accepting candy donations at the City Hall for the Trunk or Treat. The Trunk or Treat will take place on Wednesday, October 31st from 6-8pm. Citizens can line up and there will be a judging on the best decorated trunk. A prize will be given to the winner. The Christmas Parade will be at 5:00pm on Saturday, December 1st. She asked that the street department to have the decorations up by the week of Thanksgiving if possible.
- Council Members
- Wynola Smith- Planning a dress code for the clerks. Discussed more in executive session.
- Zelda Sumner- The city is still has an opening for a full time maintenance position. Clerk Jean states a few more applications have come in. Interviews will be set up Wednesday.
- Suzanne Hutchinson- Looking into getting a sign for the city and currently has two bids. Suggestions were given to look on Facebook for a used one and to see if Mr. Johnny could build one.
- Jesse Yawn- Nothing to report.
- Larry Sumner- Nothing to report.
- Mayor- Kim Adams- Nothing to report.
- Recess Regular Meeting: CM Smith made a motion to recess, seconded by CM Hutchinson, carried by CM Sumner, CM ZSumner, and CM Yawn. Motion passed. Regular Meeting recessed at 6:35pm.
- Executive Session: CM Smith made a motion to go into executive session, seconded by CM Yawn, carried by CM ZSumner, CM Hutchinson, and CM Sumner. Motion carried. Council went into Executive Session at 6:45pm. CM Hutchinson made a motion to go out of Executive Session, seconded by CM Smith, carried by CM Sumner, CM ZSumner, and CM Yawn. Motion passed. Council went out of executive session at 7:45pm.
- Call Regular Meeting to order: CM ZSumner made a motion to go back into Regular Session, seconded by CM Yawn, carried by CM Sumner, CM ZSumner, and CM Hutchinson. Motion passed. Council went back into Regular Session at 7:45 pm.
CM Hutchison made a motion to raise Officer Steven Cox’s pay to $12.00 an hour, seconded by CM Yawn, carried by CM Sumner, CM Smith, and CM ZSumner. Motion passed.
CM ZSumner stated that an ad needs to be put in the paper for a full/part time police officer and that Chris Chavis no longer works for the City of Adrian.
Mayor stated that they have not come to a decision about the school. They will be looking for input from the citizens and exploring revenue options before making a final decision.
- Adjournment: CM Hutchinson made a motion to adjourn, seconded by CM Smith, carried by CM Sumner, CM Yawn, and CM ZSumner. Motion passed. Meeting adjourned at 7:55pm.